Blog about Art, Poetry and Prose

Blog about Art, Poetry and Prose

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

FREEDOM




I am just a black man 
Walking around with a childish dream 
I recall all through life I struggled 
I couldn't get anyone in my dreams to see 

Slave to a corrupt political system 
Slave to employment without retirement benefits 
Slave to inequality and tyranny 
Every day I watched glimpses of my dreams die 

Whenever I walk out of the door 
I never forget a brother rotting in jail 
I never forget a mother sexually bruised 
A girl child betroth into early marriage

They say I am free because I have an education 
I am free because I found shelter in an orphanage 
I can afford to have a three square meal 
I can walk on the street without been maimed 

But every day I am scared of been intimidated 
Unprecedented policies depriving the people's need 
Like a congregation blindly addressed 
By a prophet with unquestionable misdeed 

This is what is found in the world today 
I could never be pronounced free 
Not until the day I take a hit 
Only a dead man can truly be free 

All Rights Reserved © Akan Udofia 2017 

No comments:

Post a Comment