Blog about Art, Poetry and Prose

Blog about Art, Poetry and Prose

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

DEAR BROTHER


I took you in for a brother
Carried you on my shoulder
It does mean a lot to me
To see you fulfill your dream

But what happened to your dream?
You seem lost deep within
Taking out your frustration on me
But why do you hurt me?

Throughout your struggle for liberty
I stood by you until you are independent
Because it matters to me a lot
You are my brother, your wellbeing I cared

But instead, stab me in the back
How could you be so heartless and ignorant?
Betrayed our many years of trust
For your selfishness, hate, and greed

I can never despise you 
I will still love you
Even if you do hate me for it
You are my brother, we share the same blood

I hope the self-hate is incidental
My love for you has no negative empathy 
Do not let your mind be controlled by hatred
Guide your thoughts, so it would not be lost

Do remember the sun will go to sleep
In the darkest hour of the night
You can get lost on the street
If you are not careful indeed

There will be no one to take the hit
You broke my heart a great deal and my trust
By allowing prejudice to defile the state of your mind
And shut the door behind

Thought you have learned from the past dear brother
We all need someone to look beyond our shoulder
To help us confront our vaguest day
And be back on our feet again today


All Rights Reserved © Akan Udofia

Dedicated to the victims of xenophobic attacks in South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment