Blog about Art, Poetry and Prose

Blog about Art, Poetry and Prose

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

MY FATHER IS ALSO A SON TO MY MOM



 
Only today, I got to realize how much a boy he is still.
Tina (my mum) had always cautioned Philip (dad) against his impenitent habit of adding raw salt to an already cooked meal.
She would go from scolding, to soothing. All to no avail. One day she went as far as scaring him by saying he was going to develop Parkinson's disease if he didn't stop consuming raw salt. But the man, just for the sake of calming the heat promised to stop that day.
But did he?
In the earlier hours of today. we were all home except for my only brother, in observance of the public holiday.
The couple were gossiping a friend of there's who wouldn't stop alcoholism and has now developed a kidney failure, when Nora served dads white rice and stew.

Mum was already tying a towel loosely around her pectus. Ready to have her bath.
Changing the channel, I couldn't help but observe dads sudden restiveness with his wife's presence. I could see through his heart, he wanted her to excuse him.
Mum stood and made to the bathroom after her last speech about "how men do not value their lives like women" of course Philip agreed with a strong node, supported with a loud yes. Anything to make her leave immediately.

I had to go back to my sweeping in the kitchen, after successfully changing the channel to African magic family.
Behind me, came a kri shri sound. It was coming from the cupboard.
Dad was stealing salt again.
I made a sharp turn, just in time to find him hushing me with his thick index finger to his closed smiling lips.

I held the explosive laughter that came creeping out from my inside, but I couldn't hold my mouth.
"mummy" I called, "Philip(daddy) is stealing salt"
Dad ran off the kitchen, now laughing.
"leave him, when his hands start shaking, I will be in my in-laws house enjoying my daughters. I will not suffer with him" mum hammered from the bathroom.
How nice it felt, knowing that even my dad is scared of my mums fury.
Truth is, she simply wants him healthy and strong for her.
#daddy can fear mummy too.
All Rights Reserved @ Juliet Iwuoha Philips 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment